Saturday, February 12, 2005

The ACT

Yay!!! Today I took the ACT!! Man, that test is absolutely mind-boggling! The math section was definitely the hardest. They had trig in there - omigosh!! Thankfully, I studied (aka crammed the night before). That really helped me, even though I forgot most of the strategies that I learned thanks to that big, enormous test booklet staring me in the face. It was mocking me, saying, “Ha ha! I’m going to beat the crap out of you!!!” During the test I tried to put its mocking torments aside I tried to utilize the three commandments for the ACT (Thanks to the good people at Kaplan): Thou Shalt Learn the Test, Thou Shalt Learn the Strategies, and Thou Shalt Learn the Material Tested.

My scores probably weren’t out of the ordinary (considering that I took it a couple years early). The scores range from 1 to 36; 36 being in the 99th percentile and 1 being in the 1st percentile. I felt that I got, maybe a 19 or 20 in the math section (bear in mind that a 20 is about average), a 21 to 25 in English (it’s pretty easy if you’ve spoken the language your entire life), maybe a 24 in Reading, and a 20 to 23 in Science Reasoning (some of the stuff the is literally rocket science!)

Thankfully, the proctor didn’t forget to give the “five minute warning.” I depended on that, even though I brought a watch. I tended to look more at the clock in the room. Despite that fact, I actually ran out of time in a couple spots. The test itself was pretty boring; I never found that it was so boring that I couldn’t concentrate, though. Yet some of the answers were quite tricky. I mean, who’d of thought that the difference between “although” and “even though” would be such a challenging question?

Overall, I found the test to be just that – a test. It’s not a lobotomy or a dentist appointment. It really was neither a good experience nor a bad experience for me. All I can do now is wait six to eight weeks for the results… *sigh*

3 Comments:

Blogger asdf said...

I wanna take the test, too. tell me where you took it

7:40 PM  
Blogger Kristof said...

I took it at the high school. Unfortunately, you'll have to wait until you're a junior to take it now. 8th grade is your last window of opportunity for these kinds of things... I think.

5:43 AM  
Blogger asdf said...

*sniff*

5:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home